After many hours of work on that pesky drivers side quarter panel, it was FINALLY ready to apply some high-build primer to the rest of the body. High quality Evercoat (Rage Gold and Rage Extreme) fillers have been used for all the filler work and were blocked out with a combination of different Durablocks and old fashioned sanding boards. I used some PSA (stick on) sandpaper from the makers of Durablock called Dura-Gold… it worked great and lasted a long time. At nearly half the price of equivalent 3M PSA sandpaper, I’ll be buying more Dura-Gold in the future!
As much work as it was to get this quarter panel “straight” I now realize that the whole thing should have been replaced rather than repaired. If this was a typical shaped quarter panel, that is… mostly flat, it wouldn’t have been a problem. But that dang rib that runs down the center of the panel proved to be quite an obstacle! Once the panel was straight above and below that rib, I was now faced with re-sculpting the rib out of filler! If I had a 1/16″ low spot in the panel, that means the rib is 1/16″ low too… what fun! Finally after much work I finally got it “close enough” to where I could apply some Evercoat Featherfill G2 polyester high-build primer. I set my gun for lower pressure (and thus a smaller fan width) so I wouldn’t get over-spray all over the shop and under/onto the bottom of the car. It took longer to spray it out, but I wasn’t in any big hurry anyway. Check it out on YouTube as shot with my new Nikon D90!